Jamhuri ya Muungano wa Tanzania
Ofisi ya Rais
Tume ya Utumishi wa Umma
The Public Service Commission consists of a Chairman and not more than six members, who according to Section 9(1) are appointed by the President. A person is appointed to be a member of the Commission if he or She:
· Has unquestionable personal ethical and integrity of the highest standard.
· Enjoys the respect of the community in which he/she belongs.
· Is perceived to be devoted to the public interest and serving or has served in any proffession and with experience at a senior management level in a public service.
The Chairman and Members of the Commission (Commissioners) hold office on part time basis for a period not exceeding three years. On the termination of appointment, the Chairman or any other member may be eligible for re-appointment for a further period or period, non of which shall exceed three years.
A person cannot be appointed to be a member of the Commission if he or she:
· Hold a political office e.g. a Speaker or Deputy Speak of the National Assembly
· Regional or District Commissioners
· Paid officers or servants of a Trade Union
· Judicial service officials
· Members of military service
Those conditions aim at providing impartiality to the Commission to enable it discharge its responsibilities without fear or any influence and enable the Members of the Commission to act with complete political neutrality.
Currently the Office of the Chairman and Members of the Commission has became vacant from November 22, 2021.
A Chairman or a member of the Commission may at any time resign from his office. Therefore, the office of a Chairman or a member of the Commission shall become vacant: